Whether your carpet is new or old, you should know how to properly take care of it. There are a number of simple things you can do to help keep your carpet looking fresh and new.
- Vacuum: To prevent normal wear and tear, you should vacuum your carpets at least once a week. Vacuum daily if you have pets or high traffic areas.
- Shoes: Take them off when coming inside. When you walk around outside, your shoes pick up soil and residue that will then be transferred onto your carpet. Not wearing your shoes on the carpet will help your carpet stay clean and therefore live a longer life.
- Furniture: Move it around on a regular basis. Rotating your furniture so that you’re not always walking on the same area will keep an even amount of traffic across your carpet.
- Air Ducts: Keep them clean. If there is dirt and debris in your air ducts, it will eventually make its way to your carpet where it will then live until the next vacuuming.
- Mats: Use walk off mats a few steps before entering a room. They will help get the loose dirt off your shoes before walking on the carpet. Have a more aggressive mat by outside doors to better agitate your shoes and rid them of as much dirt as possible.
- Steam Clean: We recommend having your carpets steam cleaned at least once a year by a professional. A fresh water rinse will be applied to your carpet after the cleaning to ensure that there is no sticky residue left over. This will keep your carpet cleaner, longer!
- Products: Make sure everything you use on your carpet is made for carpet, especially spot removers. All Sams customers receive a free bottle of our Outta Sight Spotter, which should be used in small amounts and the spot should be blotted from the outer edges inward. If you are using an over-the-counter store bought product, we recommend that you test it out in a small, inconspicuous area first. Always make sure your carpets are thoroughly rinsed so there is no residue left behind.
- Protection: Adding a carpet protection will help extend the life of your carpet. Sealant-based products will seal the fibers of your carpet so they won’t hold in soil. Your carpet will still get dirty but it will be much easier to clean up.
- Padding: A good padding underneath your carpet will help protect it from shock and therefore live longer. Padding is more durable now than it has been in the past so it won’t break down near as easily.
As a side note, we also do not recommend putting rugs directly on top of carpet. This can cause the carpet fibers to crush much quicker because you will be putting constant pressure on the carpet. Having rugs on top of carpet could also cause discoloration on the carpet underneath. However, if you want to have a rug on top of carpet for decorative purposes and plan on leaving the rug there indefinitely, then go for it!
As you can see, there are many things you can do to help extend the life of your carpet. If you have any questions or concerns about how to care for your carpet, contact us today and we will be happy to help!